Unpivoting Date Columns

AngusFair

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
2013/365
Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is a Power Query question, but as that's the tool I'm trying to use, I'll start here.

I have a project where I need to determine the total number of hotel rooms available for sale by day. This calculation take the total number of rooms in the building, subtracts the number of out-of-order (OOO) rooms and the number of do-not-sell (DNS) rooms, and then gives me a number. I then divide the number of rooms sold by the derived value to determine the actual occupancy %.

The problem is that the table of OOO-DNS rooms doesn't give me a count by date. It gives me the room number and the first and last days it went out of order:

Room Number
Code
First Date
Last Date
OOO
July 7, 2015
Aug 4, 2015
DNS
June 28, 2015
July 9, 2015
OOO
July 8, 2015
July 15, 2015

My problem is figuring out how to tell Excel take this data and build a proper data table that would look like the following:

Date
Room Number
Code
July 7, 2015
OOO
July 8, 2015
OOO
July 9, 2015
OOO
... etc.

This would solve two problems. First would be that I could do a pivot table of OOO and DNS rooms by day and reason. Second, there are some duplicate entries, so I may have room 2231 going OOO from July 8 to July 15, but also going OOO from July 8 to July 21, etc. I've had a hard time automatically deleting the correct duplicate entry, so once the data is in a proper table format, it would be simple to remove any duplicate dates.

Thank-you. Please let me know if there is any further info I could provide.

AF

Thank-you Bill. That is awesome.

AF

Back