Slow loading times

JuanSombrero

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am building a query that extracts data from an Excel file. This file is fairly large, containing multiple sheets with raw data and a ‘summary’ sheet. I only want to use the ‘summary’ sheet, which is very small. When making the query, I select ‘from file à Excel à and I select the summary sheet.
While I am building the query, I notice that the preview screen is extremely slow. The main reason for this is the slow connection I have to the server. In the bottom right corner, you can follow the progression it makes while building the preview. There I can see that it actually loads all sheets from the workbook, although my second query step (the ‘navigation’ step) clearly only select the ‘lightweight’ summary sheet.
This doesn’t seem logical to me. If my second step only loads the summary sheet, then why does PQ starts loading all these other heavy sheets from the Excel file whenever I add a step to the query?
Any thoughts on how to deal with this issue?
Thx,
Juan

There is a setting under Query Options / Current Workbook / Data Load / Background Data: Allow data preview to download in the background. I would try unchecking that for this file.

Back