Getting zero values on y-axis when plotting Bubble or Scatter Plots

cibaikia

Reaction score
I want to plot location of water wells using its X and Y coordinates in Excel. I am doing this in Excel such that every time I have a change in X and Y coordinates, I do not need to go back to the mapping software to re-generate new maps. So, I can use bubble maps if I want the size of the wells to be included or if I am not interested in the size of the wells and am only interested with the locations, I can use scatter plot.

My problem:
I used both bubble and scatter plots and for some reasons, all my wells have y-values of zero even though the column of data for the Y-axis (the y-coordinate) has real non-zero values. So, the points ended up along the Y = zero with various locations along the x-axis. The x-axis is correct, but the y-axis isn’t picking up the actual non-zero Y coordinates. I have attached my spreadsheet here to see if anyone here can help find out what is causing this and what the fix is.

Attachments

• Mapping Problem in Excel.xlsx
    21.6 KB · Views: 115
Those y values are actual text, probably due to copy and paste.
If you edit one of the cells and press enter you should see both the value change alignment to right of cell and the xy-scatter chart update.

In order for the bubble chart to function correctly you need to give each point a size, currently only the first point has a size {1}.

Attachments

• 6005.xlsx
    20.9 KB · Views: 211
Those y values are actual text, probably due to copy and paste.
If you edit one of the cells and press enter you should see both the value change alignment to right of cell and the xy-scatter chart update.

In order for the bubble chart to function correctly you need to give each point a size, currently only the first point has a size {1}.

Thanks but that didn't help solve. The original sheet has the values as Number and not text. And as for the size, it didn't matter if I put sizes too. Even if I remove the size dependency by using scatter plot, it didn't work because of the zero values of the y axis. You'll see the problem if you own my sheet that I attached.

The working file I posted was your file.
The Y values are being treated as text even if the number format if Number. Notice the left alignment due to excel treating them as text rather than numeric.

You can convert the cell contents by using paste-special multiply. Enter 1 in to a spare cell. Copy that cell. Select the range of Y values. Paste-Special with multiply.

Back