Power Query workbook save

Paul_Christie

Reaction score
Website
www.instantpages.ltd.uk
Excel Version(s)
Office 365 Monthly update
I'm using Power Query with Excel 2010. The laptop is an i5 with 4GB so that not much room to handle 750,000 records. I'm puzzled by the gui behaviour when i save the workbook. The workbook appears to save to completion in the status bar and then brings up a saving progress message box in the middle of the screen. Is it actually saving twice? I'm not worried by this but I'm anticipating a question from my client on this and I don't know how to answer it.

Hey Paul!

So honestly, I don't think I've ever seen this. Can you snap a picture of the dialog that pops up in the middle of the screen? I'm curious to see what it looks like. (If you go to the Go Advanced button in the bottom right, you should be able to attach it in the forum software for upload.)

Ken,

I've tried posting the picture of the dialog but it tells me I can't do it because I haven't enough posts. Interestingly, I've noticed that when I open a workbook with a power query in it it runs the status bar twice. It's almost as if Excel is opening the xlsx file and the query as separate entities.

Paul

Hey Paul, I think your last post hits the magic number needed to upload images. (Although that's strange, I'll have to check the forum software, as I didn't think we blocked image files, only links.)

In the latest build of Power Query, they added a new feature allowing you to stop the data previews from loading. You may want to update and try unchecking that box.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 4-27-2016 9-54-19 AM.png
    4-27-2016 9-54-19 AM.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 30
Ken,

And in your last reply you've hit the nub of the problem as I see it in the UK and it's political not technical. Most of the large companies have outsourced the management of the IT infrastructure so you have to jump through hoops to get something like Power Query. When you get it approved you then have to find someone in said outsourced company who knows what it is and what they need to do. Having got it installed that's it. Yes I know there's an update, I get a warning in the icons in the corner of the screen but I've not got the priveleges to download and install. So I have to email the guywho did the original install and beg him to install the upgrade. There are bits of big company culture in the UK that I find unacceptable, we whitter on about competencies and constant improvement but we don't do anything to help it. At least when we finally get Office 2016 or Office 365 in 2020 we we'll loose the politics of this. Hopefully.
Regards, Paul

Back