Drawing graph where some values are zero.

dahowarduk

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Column A contains the date, column B contains my weight.

So far this spreadsheet only has data from Jan 1st to Jan 4th.
How do I draw a graph of this data without having to redefine the 'chart data range' every time I add a new day's data?

First step is to convent your list to table. You should able to find lots of info on excel table, but the basic process is - highlight the list and press Ctrl + T.

Each time you add a date and weight to the table, the table will expand to include the new row. Do not leave any blank rows.

Highlight the table (I didn't include the column names) and create your graph.

Each new date added to the table will then update the graph.

Thanks. The dates are already filled in for the whole year. Does that matter?

Here what I would do. Delete the dates. Then add a formula in A2, =A1+1 assuming A1 is Jan 1, 2015. Do you have a goal column, that you compare your daily weight to? if so create a formula that calculates your new goal each day. Copy both the date and goal formulas down to Jan 4. Create the table and graph.

Now when you enter your weigh on Jan 5, the date and the goal columns will update automatically.

Thanks . I've tried all that, but my chart still shows the 'actual' as zero values for all of those dates in the future.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Slimming Chart.jpg
    Slimming Chart.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 57
OK I was not clear enough, my firs time answering excel questions online.

Today is Jan 9, 2015. The table has dates Jan 1 through Jan 8 in column A (all other dates have been deleted). Jan 8 is calculated as A7 + 1. Column C is your goal weight and is calculated by a formula and only includes data to Jan 8. Column B has your actual weight in stones.

To enter today's data, only enter your weight in column B. The date and the goals should update automatically.

This will result in a chart with many fewer data points to start with but over time the chart will expand.

Back