use excel for event log

shesez

Reaction score
I have a problem with a neighbour with a noisy dog and I need to create a log which is triggered by an audio input.

I am wondering if windows and excel can be programmed to initate actions based upon an audio trigger.

If possible I also want to record the audio to a portable hard drive.

Obviously the activity would not be continuous and only occur when there was a sufficiently loud noise.

I would appreciate any suggestions

:confused2:

Neat concept, but I'm thinking that the development time in this would be lengthy... you'd need to discover an API for sound, and be able to tap into it's volume levels to trigger data recording. Most code samples I see from a quick search are around clicking a button to turn recording on, not monitoring the mic for certain audio levels.

I'm sure that it probably could be done, but honestly, it's going to take a LOT of work to make it happen. Depending on the hardware you have it may also cost as well...

Right, but if you dig through there, you'll find that you can download the code. The issue, though, is this:

iSpy is written in c#. The project is a Visual Studio 10 solution (you will need Visual Studio 2010 to compile it).

So the issue we have here is that the VBA Editor works with VBA, which is a flavour of Visual Basic. Unless they released a dll that can be referenced (and probably some code samples), most Excel programmers won't be able to help.

I believe that, given enough time and the right person, that this can certainly be accomplished. I'm just not sure who that person is. I'll make a call and see if I can get someone to look at this.

Back