Dashboard source data - does it have to be in same file?

samait

Reaction score
Hi there! I have a pretty awesome dashboard I Have created but the more i get into it, the more i really really want to pull the source data out of it and have a separate workbook with the source data. What are your thoughts on this? Everyone accesses the reports via Dropbox so I could keep the data in the same folder. My thought is though ... I would update the charts/pivot tables after source data is updated & that way when they access it, it would be up to date.

Your thoughts? Ideas?

Isolating the data from the code and the presentational layer is a good practice, although a database is a better idea than a data workbook.

The problem with linked workbooks is that too often the linkages break, and some functions will only work if the linked workbook is open. And if someone has it open, you can't update it.

If you are confident that you can manage the linkages, it should work okay(ish). The advantage is that you can make the data workbook read-only, to avoid conflict between the dashboard viewers.

excellent. I'm going to do that today then. :) I have absolute confidence that i can keep the linkages in line, and was debating moving my data to a database but that, unfortunately will have to wait until I have the time to devote to it. :) Thank you so much for your help!

If you do move the data to a separate workbook, moving to a database down the line will be a lot simpler.

Back