Need formula Help...........go figure....LOL

pboren

Reaction score
I am trying to calculate Job Start Time the Job End Time and get a total (got this part covered) I'm having trouble subtracting 1 hour from jobs that take more than an hour to complete. I will attempt to post a screen cap of the form I am using.

Copy of Form Attempting to use

The secret to this is that times are actually just fractions of days. So to get one hour, you just use =1/24. To get minutes, you'd go with =1/24/60.

I've mocked up your sample and attached it here.

Hope it helps!

Attachments

• xlgf311.xlsx
    10.6 KB · Views: 19
Yes...Thanks it did work for the most part, but the total box at the bottom (Total -1 Hour) still does not populate a running total. It just keeps the ########## until the whole
is filled in. Some days we don't do that many calls, so we may not fill up the sheet.
page2.jpg

Did you adapt the formula that was in my sample?

In K9 you should enter: =IF(I9>1/24,I9-1/24,I9)

Copy that down the column and you should be sorted.

No, Sorry, I missed that one. I really do appreciate it man............I have been sweating over this for 3 days. It all works now.

Thanks

found a glitch

I found a glitch in the formula..........if the time does not go over an hour, the - 1 hour column shows the total time for the call, not a zero.

Thanks I'll change that.

Now.....how would I lock the formulas so they can't be changed, but others can input their
Data?

Kinda new at this so sorry for all the questions.....

No problem.

The first thing I would do is create a Style for my data entry cells. (I have a writeup here: http://www.excelguru.ca/node/53) This isn't totally necessary, but sure makes it easier to update later.

When you're creating the style, make sure that you go into "Protection" and uncheck the "Locked" box.

After that, just protect your worksheet, and your users won't be able to edit the protected ranges, just the ones you've allowed.

Some notes to go with this:
  • The protection can be broken very easily by any guru. I usually just use a blank password to protect the worksheets from accidental damage, but this lets users in if they need to fix a bug.
  • I always colour my data entry cells. I use a light green and tell my users that "green means go". Every spreadsheet I've built in this company has green data entry cells so that all my users know exactly where they can enter data, and they know never to enter data in a cell that isn't green.
Hope this helps,

Back