PDA

View Full Version : Moving past VBA

Jesse
2011-03-22, 08:47 AM
I've been using VBA for a couple of years now but want to get more serious and move to Visual Studio for developing my Excel solutions and perhaps onward from there.

Advice, should I stick with VB or should I bite the bullet and learn C before investing to heavily in VB?

Jesse

XL-Dennis
2011-03-22, 01:58 PM
Jesse,
VB and C# are quite similar in .NET, i.e VB is a full member of the .NET platform. I cannot see any reason that force You to learn C#. The only major difference between them is that C# can be more used for advanced plumbing. If You use an earlier version of VS then 2010 then VB is the preferable language to use as with C# You must always declare all parameters in Excel's objects/method/properties.

If You have been working with VBA then it will be easier to port the code to VB then to C#.

royUK
2011-03-22, 02:44 PM
hello Dennis, how are you?

I believe Excel DNA (http://www.microsoft.com/express/) works with the free versions of MS Studio (http://www.microsoft.com/express/)

Jesse
2011-03-22, 05:58 PM
Thanks Dennis. Do you have a quick example of what sort of things would require C#?

Jesse
2011-03-22, 06:10 PM
Thanks Roy, I hadn't seen Excel DNA before, I'm going to check it out for sure.

Jesse

royUK
2011-03-22, 06:21 PM
Have you checked Dennis' site links?

Maybe someone can provide some links to other demos & tutorials

XL-Dennis
2011-03-22, 06:54 PM
Hey Guys,

My main site, ExcelKB, is at present empty, some of its contest can be found at MSDN (VBA) and all the Lotus / Excel material can be found at Ron de Bruin site. But all my VB.NET material is on a local drive.

Instead of pointing to some code pages I think its good to start with the following article at WikiPedia: Comparison of C Sharp and Visual Basic.NET (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_C_Sharp_and_Visual_Basic_.NET)

Jesse
2011-03-22, 07:16 PM
Thanks Dennis, this article is excellent. Exactly what I needed.

Jesse

Bob Phillips
2011-03-22, 07:40 PM
Jesse, be aware, at present Reporting Services only talks VB.

XL-Dennis
2011-03-22, 07:46 PM
Bob,

Can You have the kindness to elaborate it further? I get the impression that You say that we cannot use C# with SQL Server Reporting Services.

Ken Puls
2011-03-23, 05:11 AM
Jesse, another thing to be aware of. Once you start fooling around in Visual Studio you're going to learn just how far behind Excel's development environment really is. :(

Jesse
2011-03-24, 05:56 PM
Thanks Ken, I consider myself warned :)

Thanks all for the advice, I think I'm going to jump into Visual Studio via C#.

Jesse

lingmaaki
2012-09-25, 07:00 PM
I've been using VBA for a couple of years now but want to get more serious and move to Visual Studio for developing my Excel solutions and perhaps onward from there.

Advice, should I stick with VB or should I bite the bullet and learn C before investing to heavily in VB?

Jesse

No need to study C for VBA. But a better optionis to study C#. Because nowadays most old VB projects are mving to C# and C# is getting very popularity recently. You can do anything C# like in VBA .

ling.

XL-Dennis
2012-09-25, 08:37 PM
I disagree about C#:

# Microsoft treat both C# and VB.NET equally so there is no difference

# Books about each language is also nearly a 50/50 situation

# VB.NET is not the successor of VB, it's a 100 % NET language

If You still insist I would like to see a reference to any officially source that shows explicit that C# is more popular.