How to graph a series of scores/values and specify the values on the x & Y axes?

chriscorreia

Reaction score
As basic as this might be, I simply have not come across a video or thread that addresses exactly what I want, or that I can figure out how to make it fit what I want. Forgive me if I'm asking something that I could have found on my own. But, I didn't!

I want to be able to graph values associated with my martial arts school. I was having the fun discussion with a colleague about whether or not martial arts students (kids and adults) are "normal" and that led to speculating about normal distributions. We wondered about ranks/belt colors (each can have number, from 0 to 10) or ages (do we stay in a "sweet spot" or tend to say within one standard deviation of the mean), or heights (same as ages, perhaps).

I decided to do some graphs to visually illustrate these various profile values, but I am having a devil of a time.

So, for instance, with height, how can I do a graph/chart that shows the height values on the y axis and the students/occurrences on the x axis? In that way, I can see how it might resemble, or not, a normal distribution.

If there is a resource, link. thread, video that shows this, I'd be happy to take it and run with it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

(Both statistics and calculus in college, but that was 30 years ago . . .)

It sounds simple to me, which as you are struggling probably means that I am not quite understanding.

Give us an example of the data, preferably a workbook.

It may be a question of searching for the right terms on Google. Maybe a search there for:
Excel data analysis histogram youtube
might result in someting you can use?

This is like asking how long is a piece of string. My crash course in statistics follows.

I generated a lot of random numbers in the attached spreadsheet at the moment only looking at height. (press F9 to change the graphs to new random numbers)
1: First graph student vs height doesn't show much, a scatter
2: Second graph is interesting
a) blue line is ranked by height. (X: D2=RANK(D2,$D$2:$D$26,1)) Slight scatter from the linear regression line. But is it normal?
b) red line showing the sum of squares (SoS) (google it) shows the normal distribution curve and this is the typical distribution because my data is using rand function. 'Spikeiness' is due to the limited data

To get the red line, calculate col G the variance from the blue an d black line, then rank this in col H (X axis) and plot DY2.
To test if it is truly normal google t-test.

In summary, the data must be ranked and the square of the deviation found. Excel add-ins has tons of stats functions that does this for you.

Attachments

• stats101.xlsx
    16.9 KB · Views: 24
Back