PDA

View Full Version : This is a test post

Ken Puls
2011-03-16, 05:08 AM
Just testing to see how things are working here, and need some publicly viewable content.

XL-Dennis
2011-03-21, 11:34 AM
Ken,

It seems that some settings need to be changed:

In order to start new threads in this forum.

In order to insert a custom picture (unless it related to the number of posts we answer to).

Ken Puls
2011-03-21, 03:04 PM
Hi Dennis,

I'll look in to that and get back to you. :)

Zack Barresse
2011-03-21, 06:20 PM
Test reply. ;)

No quick reply box? I am definitely digging the vBuletin 4.0 though!

Ken Puls
2011-03-21, 06:22 PM
If you click the big "Reply to Thread" button, the quick reply pops up. I can change that, but it could break threaded mode if anyone uses it... don't know if that's a concern though...

Zack Barresse
2011-03-21, 06:25 PM
Well I saw the big button! LOL! I'm not sure if either one are of a big concern.

Roger Govier
2011-03-21, 11:39 PM
Hi

What's the advantage of Quick Reply?
Why not just have one reply - the Advanced option.
If you need to upload a file to illustrate a point (which is THE great advanaage over the Newsgroups, as an illustration saves the proverbial 1000 words), then it is all there ready to use.
Why would you want to use Quick reply?

Zack Barresse
2011-03-21, 11:41 PM
Pure and simple laziness. Just less clicks is all. Kind of like how the Ribbon adds perhaps an extra click or two to get where you're going. Just me being picky. I'm just used to it from other forums really is all. :)

Roger Govier
2011-03-21, 11:50 PM
Hi Zack
I'm lazy too!! Hadn't you noticed?
So, why not have the Reply click just take you to the Advanced option? Surely that's possible.
Time for bed here in the UK. I'll pick up any response tomorrow.

Zack Barresse
2011-03-22, 12:03 AM
It's a good point! I think the only other logical explanation is page loading speed. With vBulletin it isn't the entire page which is changed, it's all done dynamically on the page you're on, so it's much quicker. I think that's the only logical explanation (other than me being lazy) I can come up with! :)

Zack Barresse
2011-03-22, 12:04 AM
But my keyboard shortcut of posting a thread still works (Shift + Alt + S.... love that one!). :clap2:

The only drawback with that is it doesn't seem to work in the Advanced options reply page. :confused2:

Ken Puls
2011-03-22, 05:15 AM
It seems that some settings need to be changed:

In order to start new threads in this forum.

In order to insert a custom picture (unless it related to the number of posts we answer to).

Hey Dennis,

I created a test user with just normal rights, and created a test post in this forum. (You can find it here (http://www.excelguru.ca/forums/showthread.php?26-Testing-with-normal-user-rights).) I was able to create the post without issue, and was able to upload pictures. Are you seeing something different?

music43
2011-03-24, 11:49 PM
dont mind me. Just testing to see if I loaded my avatar correcly

Zack Barresse
2011-03-25, 12:23 AM
Nope, I see none. :(

Ken Puls
2011-03-25, 12:28 AM
Are you sure you've got it in the Avatar section? You've got a profile pic, but I don't see an avatar...

music43
2011-03-25, 02:05 PM
Are you sure you've got it in the Avatar section? You've got a profile pic, but I don't see an avatar...

It's probably my inexperience. I have sorted myself out a Gravatar which if I have my understaing correctly should associate to my email address.

I am probably missing some fundamental issue - hence nothing...?

I'll keep playing unless anyone can suggest a reason?

:confused2:

Ken Puls
2011-03-25, 04:29 PM
Hi Oli,

Unfortunately, Gravatars aren't supported in vBulletin yet. There's been a lot of call for them on their site, but nothing yet. I do see that someone put together a hack for an older version at vbulletin.org, but they haven't ported it to vbulletin 4.x, which is what I'm running here.

I'll take a deeper look over the weekend, as some posts left me with the impression that there still could be a way, it just may required more php skills than I currently possess. We'll see. :)

music43
2011-03-25, 11:18 PM
Thank you for the info. I'd appreciate it if you can but don't bust your :juggle:

:)

Oli

Ken Puls
2011-03-25, 11:19 PM
I was thinking it would be kind of a cool addition, actually. I wasn't aware of Gravatar, but I can see the value in it for those who frequent lots of blogs/forums. :)

Zack Barresse
2011-03-26, 01:01 AM
I'd never heard of it before it was mentioned in this thread. That would be very cool. I'd use it. :)

music43
2011-05-27, 09:47 AM
I was thinking it would be kind of a cool addition, actually. I wasn't aware of Gravatar, but I can see the value in it for those who frequent lots of blogs/forums. :)

Not sure how far you managed to investigate this but wondered if you had seen this. May be of help...?

Simon Lloyd
2011-05-27, 02:36 PM
Hi Ken, maybe you are looking for this http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=262196&highlight=gravatar

Ken Puls
2011-05-27, 10:40 PM
I've been stupid busy lately, and some of the business culminates this weekend. I'm hoping that next week I have a bit of time to get back into making some more forum mods and upgrades.

Simon, yes, that looks helpful. I could have sworn that last time I looked the Gravatar info I found didn't support this version of vBulletin, but there's nothing in that thread to make me suspect it...

Simon Lloyd
2011-05-28, 06:00 AM
I thought Gravatars were natively supported in vb4, or so i was led to believe :)

music43
2011-05-28, 08:25 AM
Can't believe I forgot to paste the link...

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/323746-Gravatar-Support

Ken Puls
2011-06-01, 04:56 PM
I thought Gravatars were natively supported in vb4, or so i was led to believe :)

Unfortunatley, no. I may have some time to look at this tonight. Thanks for the links guys!

Ken Puls
2011-06-02, 06:20 AM
Oli,

I installed the mod tonight (it actually hadn't been released for v4.1.x when you originally asked.) I believe it's working. That horrifying clown is your gravatar, correct?

Jesse
2011-06-02, 06:26 AM
My Gravatar is working.

Jesse

Ken Puls
2011-06-02, 06:34 AM
Cool...

I'm seeing that people with no uploaded avatar get a generic image, people who have uploaded a forum image get that, and those with a gravatar get their gravatar. :)

Simon Lloyd
2011-06-02, 10:20 AM
Ken, nice to see you basking in the elation of being a forum owner with a successful outcome - remember that feeling, you're gonna need it ;)

music43
2011-06-02, 11:30 AM
As always, I applaud you. Yes that horrific clown is the Joker from Dark Knight. IMO a fantastic movie and that character performance was Heath Ledger's finest. Tragic loss his death. I digress though. Well done again. :)

Ken Puls
2011-06-02, 06:33 PM
Ken, nice to see you basking in the elation of being a forum owner with a successful outcome - remember that feeling, you're gonna need it ;)

LOL! No doubt. I'm already terrified of my first upgrade. They've released 4.1.3, and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it, or not... (I'm trying to keep very careful documentation of what I've done.)

Oli, I don't know if I actually saw the movie, to be honest. It makes quite the avatar though! Re the applause, I had to download a file, upload it, and check one box. Hardly worthy of much! :)

music43
2011-06-02, 09:49 PM
Thoroughly recommend it. Well worth a trip to blockbuster's :)

Zack Barresse
2011-06-03, 06:02 PM
"How about a magic trick? I'm gonna make this pencil disappear." ROFL!!!!! Love it.

Been wanting to try gravatar out. Got Tapatalk for my phone too, I like it.