Printing a report with a front cover - how to have different margins

steve clapham

Reaction score
I am trying to print a report in excel - I have a different header for my front page but how can I change the margins so that I dont have a huge white border on the front page? thanks

Depends on the version of Excel. In 2007/2010 you can adjust margins via the Page Layout tab, Page setup group, Margins.

I am curious though...do you have each page in a different worksheet, or are they all in the same worksheet? Excel only gets one set of magins per worksheet, so if your worksheet prints out to 10 pages, you can't have different margins for page 1. The workaround would be to split your cover page to a different worksheet, then you can customize it however you like.

thanks Ken - we were trying desperately to keep it in one worksheet for reasons I wont bore you with but it looks like we have to abandon that idea and split the content across 5 sheets now. Its slightly a pain as it means an extra process and we have to do this 250 times, which is why I was hoping for an easier way. But thanks for your help, much appreciated

I suppose you could write a macro to set the print margins, then print page 1, then set them back and print the rest of the pages. But if you're going to do that, I think I'd honestly create a separate sheet for the cover, and set up macro to just print it first and the rest afterwards.

Back