I'm actually on vacation, so this post is going to be short. I just wanted to make sure you all are aware that there is a new Power Query update available.
New features in the July 2016 Power Query update:
- New SAP HANA connector.
- New SharePoint Folder connector.
- New Online Services connectors category.
- Improved DB2 connector, now leveraging the Microsoft driver for IBM DB2.
- Improved Text/CSV connector, now exposing editable settings in the preview dialog.
- Improved relational database connectors, now including Schema information as a part of the Navigation hierarchy.
- Data Source Settings enhancements, including “Change Source” capability.
- Advanced Filter Rows dialog mode within the Query Editor.
- Inline Input controls for Function invocation within the Query Editor.
- Support for reordering Query Steps within the Query Editor by using drag and drop gestures.
- Date picker support for input Date values in Filter Rows and Conditional Columns dialogs.
- New context menu entry to create new queries from the Queries pane within the Query Editor.
My Thoughts (without actually using it yet)
Now you can get full pictures at the official blog from Microsoft, but I'll just call out a couple that I think are pretty darned important from a usability perspective.
- Continuing with last month's update where we got Drag and Drop for the query groups, we now get Drag and Drop for the query steps. That is just plain AWESOME.
- The new Advanced Filter dialog looks pretty good.
- The Date Pikcer also looks pretty helpful.
- A context menu to create new queries is also SUPER helpful. One thing I'd like to see added here, is the ability to set each new query to load to connection/table/data model from INSIDE the query editor. (Currently, the choice you make is applied to ALL new queries - the main reason I have my defaults set to load to connection only.)