Ken Puls

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.excelguru.ca
Excel Version(s)
Excel Office 365 Insider
I'm thinking that in the future it would be really nice to have a mod where the user could upload a file here, and grant/revoke access to people through the site. What do you guys think about that? Too much work? Easier to just share via email for sensitive files?

I think that's a very interesting idea.

Pros

- It would certainly benefit those who need/offer help, but don't really want to distribute their email address;
- It keeps the conversation in the forum so others (in the forum) may share in understanding the solution.
- It's cool!

Cons

- Attachments may become unavailable to others searching for a solution to a similar problem. (Although this might encourage them to post their own thread - a good thing).
- Users might get lazy about removing sensitive info before posting something they shouldn't.

So, I'm looking forward to how this turns out.

It also might be worthwhile moving this to it's own thread. Don't want the Admin to say we're hijacking this thread. :lol::lol::lol:

It also might be worthwhile moving this to it's own thread. Don't want the Admin to say we're hijacking this thread. :lol::lol::lol:

I'm pretty sure the admin will let me get away with it, but it's a good idea, and done. :)

Another pro would be that the user can upload without emailing. This reduces issues of loss due to spam filters, issues with emailing file sizes, and other issues. I would really like if it were something relatively self managed by the user. Something that is simple for them to upload and tag the users who do have access to the file. (Public by default, but with a little work could be restricted to Administrators/Moderators/specific users.)

Re the cons...
  • Yes, I can see that users might get lazy removing sensitive info. I'd bet that many would remove sensitive info when posting to a public forum, but wouldn't bother as much when emailing it to one person. I think that would just need to be caveated on the feature.
  • Some forums dont even support attachments in the first place, so I'm not sure if the loss of availability a major con. (At least, not on that specific angle.) And you're right on the potential benefit there of encouraging users to post their own.
I'm thinking that it would also need an "auto-expiring" option for the file to be removed from the server. Maybe after a month or so? I don't want my server to become a storage warehouse for data that is inaccessible to the general public. That's not what the site is about.

Curious for other's thoughts as well.

Hi...

I also like the idea :)

The auto-expiring feature would be great; not only for minimizing storage place, but also as it is sensitive data and may not to stay too long on a server, I think.
Just brainstorming, perhaps another additional (?) option can also be the possibility to attach files to PM's?

Regards :)

Or maybe... When the user "tags" a member with permission, they are automatically PM'd to let them know, with a link to the file? (Save the poster a step...)

Hi...

Right, this would be nice, as, like you say, the user saves one step.

Brainstorming ... should the selection of the permissions be a required field when uploading a file?
Or, is there a default (All Users) preselection? If the user had unintentionally set the file, for example,
to public, would he be able to change the permissions after he uploaded the file?

Regards :)

I'm thinking that in the future it would be really nice to have a mod where the user could upload a file here, and grant/revoke access to people through the site. What do you guys think about that? Too much work? Easier to just share via email for sensitive files?

Or maybe... When the user "tags" a member with permission, they are automatically PM'd to let them know, with a link to the file? (Save the poster a step...)
Hi Ken, i've already been working on something like this for my forum for sensitive files, it is open to abuse so i'm working on capturing how many times a user uses it and have a cut off which only staff can reset, as i dont see a need to keep pm'ng workbooks or even the same workbook back and fore, i'm also looking at having the thread updated with a note to say that a workbook has been pm'd to keep the flow of the topic, when i've finished it do you want it installing here? it will only be available to be sent by pm from a checkbox in the thread if the "Helper" has clicked a checkbox himself before submitting a post to enable the upload for the OP, it will be auto deleted from the upload folder after x days.

Sound ok?

Back