Query and Table naming

Paul_Christie

Reaction score
Website
www.instantpages.ltd.uk
Excel Version(s)
Office 365 Monthly update
I've got a workbook with a number of queries and tables that I have been very careful to name in a consistent and unambiguous manner. For instance I've got a query called Depots which puts it's result in a query called Depots. There are others named in a similar manner. I've got one that I can't get to work in the same way I've got a query called DepotOverview which puts its result in a table called DepotOverview_1 because it says the name DepotOverview already exists but I can't see it anywhere in the Name Manager window.

Can anyone suggest what I'm missing because I don't like inconsistencies like this.

Paul Christie

Possibly a case-(in)sensitive issue? If you have a table or query e.g. DEPOTOVERVIEW, then Power Query accepts DepotOverview as a different query name, but for Excel these are the same and a suffix is added to make it unique.

Marcel,

Good suggestion and one I'm familiar with, but the fingers sometimes don't do what the brain tells them to. As it happens I've lived with the above for a couple of weeks and tried renaming the table and it didn't work. I've done some other tidying up in the workbook this morning and just after I made this post I thought I'd have another go at renaming it to remove the "_1". It worked. I don't know whay it worked today when it had previously failed but it's now sorted.

Thanks for your input anyway.
Paul

Back