Source: A1:A5 , B1

A1: 00B0
A2: 00v000
A3: B009
A4: 00C0
A5: //ME

B1:A
B2:B

use formula in column C (start from C1 vertically) to get row# of A1:A5 if they contain character in B1 or B2 , in example, the result should be C1=1,C2=3,c3="",c4=""

thanks !!

Have tried a few things, but no luck with a formula. Main problems are that you have duplicate instances (e.g. A1 and A3), and its not clear how much data you have altogether in rows A and B.
How would you feel about using a VBA module, or a UDF?

Here is a formula solution that should work:

=IFERROR(SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER((SEARCH(TRANSPOSE(INDIRECT("B1:B2")),$A$1:$A$5))),ROW($A$1:$A$5)-ROW($A$1)+1),ROWS($C$1:$C1)),"")

This is an Array formula and so must be confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER not just ENTER. Then copied down

Sure does! I didn't realise that you could match pairs from one array with singles in a second array as you did here. I presume its because you've got Excel to build the 10 element one rather than supplying it.
Also, the amount of data isn't really an issue, within reason of course. Brilliant.

it works perfectly ! thanks !

Here is a formula solution that should work:

=IFERROR(SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER((SEARCH(TRANSPOSE(INDIRECT("B1:B2")),$A$1:$A$5))),ROW($A$1:$A$5)-ROW($A$1)+1),ROWS($C$1:$C1)),"")

This is an Array formula and so must be confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER not just ENTER. Then copied down

Still thanks for your effort. I would rather using helper column if possible .

Have tried a few things, but no luck with a formula. Main problems are that you have duplicate instances (e.g. A1 and A3), and its not clear how much data you have altogether in rows A and B.
How would you feel about using a VBA module, or a UDF?

In this case, I wasn't quite able to find a workable formula, but the one posted by NBVC will work fine on its own. :)

I'm sensing this is probably a school or course assignment....

Back