Select a Cell on 1 sheet, from data input onto another sheet, then populate that cell

RJ-Summers

Reaction score
This is a tall order, and I wouldn’t blame anyone for wanting to ‘pass’ on helping me with this, unless of course you really feel up to a challenge. And I promise that if you do supply me with a workable solution, then you will have a permanent place on my Christmas card list, and my full respect and admiration.On what I’ll call the “Data Entry Page”, I would like to have merely 4 cells to type data into.First would be to enter the MONTH,Second would be the DAY (numerical, of the month),Third would be a BUDGET ITEM (hopefully from a drop-down list),And before I get to the Fourth item, I would like the first three inputs, above, to assign a cell on the particular page, specified by the data that has been input. What I mean is that I have 12 sheets. Sheet1 is for January, Sheet2 is for February, etc. On each of these sheets I have a left column with Budget Items (the same ones from the drop-down list) and in the first row I have numbered columns, 1 to 31, to represent the days of the month. What I’m doing now, to input the dollar amount for that particular budget item, in the appropriate column representing the day of the month the expense occurred, is manually finding the correct cell, and typing in the dollar amount.For instance, if ELECTRIC happens to be the 4th line down (line 4) and it was paid on the 10th of the month of June, I go to cell K4 of Sheet6 and input the dollar amount paid. “K” happens to be the 11th column, but column “A” is populated by the Budget Item choices. What I’d like to do (besides being able to fly) (oh, and be invisible) is to be able to input into the “Data Entry Page” mentioned above, and have the correct cell assigned by my first 3 input entries. (Month, Day, and Budget Item), and then with that cell, on the correct sheet now “selected”, then on the Forth line (of the first sheet) I could input the actual Dollar Amount spent on that Budget Item, on that particular day of that particular month, and have that input data show up in the selected cell on the other 'data' sheet.The tricky question is, is this even possible? To ‘assign’ or ‘select’ a particular cell on another sheet, based upon the data input onto the first sheet? And then, input data into that cell, from the first sheet, and have it show up on the correct sheet and in the correct cell?While you’re at it, maybe you can also show me a way to convert Gold, from Lead. I’ll split the profits with you! Seriously, I cannot figure this one out, and I don’t even know if it’s possible. It does seem to me that I’ve seen similar things like this on other sites, but I sure don’t know how they did it.Any help would be great, and I know I’m really asking a lot. At best, I’m sure this is a complicated request. Heck, I appreciate you even reading this far! Please help if you can, and I’m serious about the Christmas card list.

Well thats a bloody mouthful!...Consider sending some fake data in the spreadsheet that you are talking about and lets have a peek.

Love your sense of Humor....just try harder on the flying and invisible stuff and you never know......

Hi,

See attached basic file.

In Data sheet, I have the input boxes in yellow. The first 3 are drop downs with references to the lists in columns U to W.

The 4th cell is where you enter the Amount to transfer.

Note: In X1, I have a formula that gets the relative address that the value should go to, this is based on the items on each monthly sheet being exactly the same and following the list in column W. This value in X1 is used in the macro along with the sheetname from dropdown in B1 to find the cell to put the amount in.

After entering the 4 pieces of info, click the Save button. Then go to that sheet and see if the number transferred properly.

Hope it helps.

Note: This workbook contains a macro, so you will have to enable macros for it to work.

Also, if you've posted the question elsewhere, please indicates where with links and do likewise at those sites, so not everyone is spending their time on solving same question. Thanks.

Attachments

• DataSave.xlsm
    33.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Have gone for the KISS approach

Have gone for the KISS approach. The months slicer achieves I think what you wanted to do on multiple pages, the second pivot table with subtotals gives you an overview from an annual perspective. The second slicer 'item' allows you to visually filter on any one item over the year. The Raw Data Tab allows you RHK, pick from dropdown list. Hope it helps, if you chose not to use it no harm, if you need it tweaked let me know.

Knock yourself out! And enjoy the weekend

Attachments

• 2017-03-24_Multipage.xlsm
    37.2 KB · Views: 19
I guess we ain't getting any christmas cards?

Back