Why does the Sum of Percents, not account for the Fractions within them??

TAndress

Reaction score
When doing calculations resulting in a percent (50%), I've had to utilize another Text field separately in order to represent the correct fraction (9/18) instead of (1/2) using format custom ##/##.

Another at percent (100%) but the Fraction needed to show true value was 17/17 but Excel insist on putting 1/1 even with custom formatting unless I changed it to ##/17.

At this point I wanted to get the sum of both, being 9/18 and 17/17 = 26/35 = 74%, instead Excel says it's 150%!

Why is this!?

I've had to utilize another Text field separately in order to represent the correct fraction (9/18) instead of (1/2)

At this point I wanted to get the sum of both, being 9/18 and 17/17 = 26/35 = 74%, instead Excel says it's 150%!

Why is this!?

I'll probably get roasted for stating the obvious :) but mathematically if 9/18 is the correct fraction, then so is 1/2, as they are exactly the same.
I don't know why you need to work with these characters in the way you are doing, but if your doing calculations then they have to be numbers, and if your adding fractions, 18ths and 17ths can't be expressed as 35ths, because 35 doesn't divide by either 17 or 18!

Sorry I'm away from work to send a copy but to help clarify; I have 18 vehicles in a lot, in my data chart I need to have a percent showing (50% utilized) but they have many lots so they also want the numbers also displayed (9/18 being utilized) so we are not simply working with fractions but representing a value of quantities currently on hand. Which is why when the company wants all 4 lots calculated on a total being used, 9/18 13/21 and 4/12 I need the denominators added up, and the numerators added up, then a total percent utilized. I can do this separately by doing an "if" Statement / by a "count" statement, but I'm trying to cut corners by simply adding my fraction results and it doesn't work.

I'm glad you brought that up, as you're completely right but how then if you need the denominators added because they represent how many on hand vehicles we have. To add more details I'm using the calculation SUMPRODUCT for vehicles used divided by vehicles in total to get my percentage, but to transfer those results to another worksheet and then add up each lot in a sum equation in order to see company-wide what percent is being used doesn't work, in total I end up with 518% actually which is all the percents added together.

I think that you getting confused what the calculations you are doing actually mean. I always think its best to look at a simple example, make sure you understand the principles involved, and they can then be applied to a more complex situation and you will still understand it. If Ive got 3 apples and I eat 1, Ive eaten 33% of the apples. Likewise, if I have 8 oranges and I eat 5, thats 62.5% of the oranges. Now, if I want to look at the total fruit situation these %s dont help me because each is calculated for one fruit only.
So we need to forget that and start with the total amount of both fruits (11) and see what % we get with this figure as the denominator.
Apple 1/11 9.09% Oranges 5/11 45.45% Total 6/11 54.54% of the total fruit has been eaten. So when you combine ratio groups, you get a type of average called an arithmetic mean or weighted average 54.54% that sits between the individual group ratios. Adding these together as in 33%+62.5% is meaningless in total terms.
If you take a look at my attachment, Ive illustrated this using your numbers in post #4.

Attachments

• Ratios.xlsx
    10.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Using a UDF
Code:
Function TAFraction(data As Range)
Dim arr, a
Dim x As Long, y As Long
arr = data.Value2

For Each a In arr
x = x + Split(a, "/")(0)
y = y + Split(a, "/")(1)
Next

TAFraction = x & "/" & y & " - " & Format(x / y, "0.00%")

End Function

Attachments

• Cars.JPG
    Cars.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 9
Back