Append Tables or use Multiple Tables

Peter079

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Hi, Our IT Department has imported 6 different databases onto a server. I need the data from 6 tables (1 in each database) which contains transactional data. All the field names in each of the 6 tables are the same. I also need to unpivot the same columns in each of the tables.

My questions are as follows:

Is it better to import each table into a data model and then write similiar measures in each table with measures to aggregate each of these measures or should I append these tables together and then write measures on the appended table?

If the tables are appended will they refresh each month as new data gets added ?

Is there a query that can be written in Power Query to unpivot columns and then append the resulting tables, and if so can you please help or point me in the right direction. I don't think it matters if I first append the tables and then unpivot or vice versa. Will this query automatically work if the data imported into the server is refreshed ?

Any help that you can provide is greatly appreciated as I am new to this technology.

Thanks

P

Back