Is possible to have comment based on cell value?

Excelko

Reaction score
Is there any way how to have comments in cell, based on value I have inside?

What I would like to have is comment I write in cell B2 where I have function referring to cell A1.
But when I change column A1 and value in cell B2 will change I want there another comment..

Do you think it can be done?

Thank you for ideas. :smile:

Thanks navic for idea but what I want is bit different.
I tried to show it in attached file:
View attachment Variable comment.xlsm

I hope I described it clearly there this time..

Do you think that it's possible to do that?

Thanks for comments, advises and ideas :)

Insert different comment in certain cell based on text in specific cell

Do you think that it's possible to do that?
Yes it is possible.
I'm not a VBA programmer but I edit an existing VBA code by authors TWilliams.

See attachment
Is that what you asked?

Attachments

• InsertCommentInAnotherCellIfMatchCriteria.xlsm
    18.3 KB · Views: 862
Hi navic,

I'm just watching Croatia - Portugal, so updates you did are up to date :) I hope you will win tonight.
Regarding VBA code you sent.. it's working nice, but it's showing only those comments that are written in VBA. If I would like to edit comment for example for Croatia "They beat Portugal" I can do it in VBA code only.. not in comment directly. And also if I want to delete comment for France for example, again it must be done in VBA code, otherwise it shows comment again.

I appreciate your help and looking forward for more ideas ;)

Best regards.

Insert specific comment to specific cell based on certain criteria form certain cell

I can do it in VBA code only.. not in comment directly. And also if I want to delete comment for France for example, again it must be done in VBA code, otherwise it shows comment again.
Strange you requirements have :)
I'm sorry I'm not a VBA programmer, I told you.
However, I have an idea that could possibly be the solution. Of course, all this can be much more elegant and easier for someone VBA programmer.

See sheet module in VBE. There is a procedure that under certain condition calls another procedure in a standard module.

In the standard Module 1, there are three procedures for each condition displayed comment in cell C2. This comment is withdrawn from cell Sheet2.
When you select a criterion in cell C2, Excel calls a specific VBA procedure and shows the comment in cell C4. If you want to change comment, you do not need to open VBE. You simply change the text in the cells M2, M3 and M4.

If this is not enough for your solution, please look for someone VBA programmers, who would for you write VBA code.

Attachments

• InsertCommentInAnotherCellIfMatchCriteria2.xlsm
    22.8 KB · Views: 419
Thanks navic for your advice once again. It seems like step by step I'm getting closer to what I want :)

Your solution is good and it makes exactly what is needed in this file, but unfortunately it's just a sample I used to better explain what I want.
In fact I have huge table with many selections, and I need to add comments in many cells based on criteria. Now maybe I will try to modify your code and will see if it is what I can use :)

Thanks again.

Change comment if match criteria

In fact I have huge table with many selections, and I need to add comments in many cells based on criteria.
I'm sorry what I can no longer help you.
Here we come to my mind a new idea, but you need VBA programmer for it.

The idea is the following:

The current situation
After changing the data in the cell C2, in the cell C4 appears comment for a specific condition. If you change your comments directly within the framework comment, the VBA to remember the respective change.

or

The new situation
Every time you change the data in the cell C2, should be appear a popup message that contains the old comment and if you change your comment, Excel remember the respective change and after clicking the OK button enroll him in the a comment cell C4.

Good luck :)

Back