Possible to Freeze a Sheet within Excel?

Kimbersan

Reaction score
Hi! I have a budgeting tool that has a Transactions Sheet and 12 Monthly sheets that pull data from the Transactions sheet into them. I have discovered that the more months/transactions I have used, the slower it is. On my home computer i can see that whenever I add a new transaction, every page is performing its calculation, thereby slowing everything down. Is there a way to Freeze the monthly sheets from performing its calculations after i have passed it?

Excel 2003 plz

THANKS

Are you using any volatile functions or conditional formatting ? Perhaps post an small sample file containing some formulas
You can also switch on Manual Calculation then hit F9 to calculate

There are conditional formatting in other areas of the workbook, though i don't think so much on these sheets. I'm currently on break at work so cannot make a sample yet, but would Manual Calculation effect the entire workbook or can it be applied to individual sheets? if so, that would work well.

I don't remember if manual calcs, changed in XL options affects the wbook or individual sheets in XL2003. Wbks would be my guess.

How about volatile functions ?

There a ton of things that could be wrong:
- usage of volatile functions (offset, now, today, rand, randbetween...)
- adding transactions changes scope of lookup operations (VLOOKUP)
- broken external links to files
- array formulas needing recalculation

I read through the link provided by Pecoflyer, but I honestly do not know of all the functions within this workbook. It was originally created by Vertex42 as a free money management template, and I have since added another free monthly budget template to further track transactions by week. So, there are so many hidden functions and pages to make a seamless look, that I cannot know for sure.

I suppose I will simply have to edit the calculations to stop looking at later rows. More opportunity for operator error, but shortens the time to calculate. Thank y'all!

Back