Amount needed to meet target

The_excell_initiate

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
2013, 2016
Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if I could get help with the following. I am looking for a formula to calculate how many of a certain value you need to hit a target percentage.

To clarify , let's say hypothetically I play pro Basketball and I wish to score 90% off all my shots. Currently I already missed 3 shots and scored 7 . Which means I have a total of 70% scored . Let's say my misses don't increase minimum amount of shots I need to take to hit 90% or above.

A1 A2 A3 A4 A5
Scored shots Missed Target Percentage new required scored shots missing scored shots
7 3 90 Formula ??? =A4-A1

I am looking for the formula to find for the above example the number : 27

Every time I tried I have gotten stuck in a circular reference, I believe it's something to do with inverted percentages but just can't figure it out :mad2:

I would really appreciate some help

Hi Neophyte, the below I think gets what you are after, no formula needed, column E will show you how many more successful hits are required with column B showing total of misses you entered.

A1B1C1D1E1F1G1
TargetMISSUSHITSACTUALHITS NEEDEDOF TOTAL SHOTSCONFIRM
0.937=C3/SUM(B3:C3)=(B3*A3)*10=E3+B3=E3/(E3+B3)

Hi T_e_i, the below I think gets what you are after, no formula needed, column E will show you how many more successful hits are required with column B showing total of misses you entered.

A1B1C1D1E1F1G1
0.937=C3/SUM(B3:C3)=(B3*A3)*10=E3+B3=E3/(E3+B3)

Dear Axle11 ,

Thanks for the reply!

If I change the target and use your formula it does not always work , I don't understand either why you would do =(b3*A3)*10
It looks as follows applying your formulas dto different targets and numbers :

A1B1C1D1E1F1G1
90%370.7273090%
80%370.7242789%
60%470.63636242886%

Apologies The_excell_initiate was a late night last night when I posted, hoping the below meets your requirements.

A1B1C1D1E1F1G1
TargetMISSESHITSTOTAL SHOTSACTUALHITS NEEDEDNEEDED TOTAL
0.939=SUM(B3:C3)=C3/SUM(B3:C3)=(D3*B3/(D3-(D3*A3)))-B3=F3+B3

Dear Axle11,

This seems to do exactly what I was looking for, while waiting for your answer I did find two other ways I would like to share with you that do the same.

So yours as far as I understand is :

W: Current Misses
X: current hits
Y: Current Total
Z: Target in decimal form
x': Future x

x' =roundup((Y*X/(Y-(Y*Z)-W),0)

The formula I managed to get the result with was :

x : current Value
Y: current total
Z : target in whole numbers
x' : future x

x' = Roundup(((z*y)-(100*x)/(100-z)+x,0

I also found that you can achieve the required result through excel Goal Seek , however this is tedious and only allows one cell at a time.
You have been a great help

THANKS !!!!!

EDIT :

I add Roundup , as you can't shoot for instance 0.25 of a ball ;)

Nice to see more than 1 way to skin a cat, good thinking with the roundup.

Cheers

Back