Excel 2013: text of two cells are not combining

Jeroenzelf92

Reaction score
Dear members,

I have a question about Excel 2013. I spend like a hour to get it done, but it seems like the whole internet is able to do it except for me.

I have a Excel file where I want to combine two cells which contains a first name and a surname into one cell. Simple as that. Now, the internet states that I have to type in the next formula (in case the first name is in cell A1 en Surname in cell A2):

=(A1&" "&A2)

Great story, but when I press enter I see this code as text in the cell I typed it in, and not the combined First- and Surname. Am I doing something wrong? Would be great if someone could help me out!

Thanks!

Select the target cell, goto Home>Cell>Format>Format Cells>Number and select the General option.

Then hit F2 and return, all should be well.

Dear members,

I have a question about Excel 2013. I spend like a hour to get it done, but it seems like the whole internet is able to do it except for me.

I have a Excel file where I want to combine two cells which contains a first name and a surname into one cell. Simple as that. Now, the internet states that I have to type in the next formula (in case the first name is in cell A1 en Surname in cell A2):

=(A1&" "&A2)

Great story, but when I press enter I see this code as text in the cell I typed it in, and not the combined First- and Surname. Am I doing something wrong? Would be great if someone could help me out!

Thanks!

You are doing perfect , can you please check your formulas option , it has to be Automatic instead of Manual.

Let me know if it's work

Regards,
Hiten

but when I press enter I see this code as text in the cell I typed it in, and not the combined First- and Surname. Am I doing something wrong? Would be great if someone could help me out!
Maybe
File => Options => Advanced => uncheck "Show formulas in cells instead of their calculated results"

Maybe
File => Options => Advanced => uncheck "Show formulas in cells instead of their calculated results"

Thanks Navic, that was the problem! Many thanks for the time you guys spend with thinking along with me!

Back