Excel oddity

Bob Umlas

Reaction score
Open two separate sessions of Excel.
Put any data in A1:B10
Hide rows 2:9
Select A1:B10, use goto special/Visible cells only.
Copy
In a 2nd sheet of same workbook, paste. You get what you expect.
In a sheet from the 2nd session of Excel, Paste. You DON'T get what you expect.:eyebrows:

Any good explanation of why the difference?

This works correctly if you open excel and create a new workbook from within.

When you open excel twice from the start menu it opens in a separate instance and you lose some functionality when you try to go between the two and you can't access macros from workbooks in the other instance.

Not really sure why this is or what the limitations are, I would be interested in understanding it as well.

Jesse

Actually, you CAN access macros in the other instance - mainly need to set a reference to it. However, what you did was reiterate the oddity -- I did say it works fine in the same instance, but odd in a 2nd instance.

Yes, I did reiterate only I said second workbook in the same instance vs second worksheet.

Forum is new, I was looking for excuses to post. Didn't intend to offend.

Let me preface with, "Bob, I have no idea." :)

Perhaps it's a different clipboard of the two, and special cells do not get passed the same. Have you tried other types of special cells? I haven't, but will in a little bit.

Figured it was a different clipboard but still falls under the category of "oddity", IMHO

Absolutely. I wouldn't expect you to find anything less. :)

LOL!

Interesting though... if you're using Excel 2010, right click the sheet in the second workbook and choose Paste Special -> Match Destination Formatting. It gives you what you'd expect. So obviously, clipboard differences or not, the original selection is still held somewhere.

I would agree that the default should match with the original Excel instance though.

Agreed, Jon. I'm most surprised in this case that the PasteSpecial actually gets it right though. I actually did expect that pasting to the second workbook wouldn't work as you'd expect. (That's not a contradiction is it?)

In testing on my machine, Win XP, Excel 2010 (no other versions on this machine), I can't access the Paste Special dialog box at all. In fact, I can't access anything except the standard Paste functionality. When I just paste it does so, but doesn't leave out hidden cells and it leaves the formulas as values. Surprisingly enough, if using AutoFilter it only pastes the visible cells. It even told me I couldn't paste formulas from another instance of Excel. Same error for both hidden cells and AutoFiltered cells. I'd never seen that one before. My assumption is one Office clipboard initialized in the first instance??

Back