Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Merging Cells with Same Text.

Merging Cells with Same Text.

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

Hi I'm working on this timeline that is suppose to show the start and the end date for a certain number of tasks.Please see pics for a better idea. The dates are shown week by week (mondays) and they will change respecting to the program that they are related. So what I want to have is a timeline that will autopopulate the dates respecting to that first date. What i did was to relate the first cell in each row (year, month, day) with the start date that is on a separate sheet. Then I sum 7 days all the way to the right and for a row im displaying the years, for the other one the months and for the other one the days.

The problem is that to make it look better I want to merge all the cells that contain the same month or the same year. when i do this by using the merge and center button the sequence gets messed up because it is only using the value in the first merged cell and deleting the others.

Is there a way in which i can do al this automatically and not having the sequence problem? Or any suggestion of a simpler way of doing this?

thanks for the help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	what i have.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	179   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	what i want.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	180  

I don't think it is a good idea to do that, merged cells will be more difficult to address in formulae. I would just use conditional formatting to hide the multiples.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Phillips View Post
    I don't think it is a good idea to do that, merged cells will be more difficult to address in formulae. I would just use conditional formatting to hide the multiples.
    But wouldnt that hide the months that are repeated over years?

Not sure if I understand what you mean, but you could test the year and month.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Hi jcas,

I've attached a copy of the file I use to plot out our budget timeline. It works using conditional formatting as Bob mentioned.

Change the dates in the green cells, and you'll see it updates the bars.

The trick is in getting the formula right. If you can do that in the grid, then you can make it work in the conditional formats. (And we can help you with that if you lay out your workbook -- or a sample -- and attach a copy.)

Hope it helps,
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ken Puls, FCPA, FCMA, MS MVP (Excel)

Master your data with Power Query: Purchase your copy of my book M is for Data Monkey today!

Main Site: http://www.excelguru.ca -||- Blog: http://www.excelguru.ca/blog -||- Forums: http://www.excelguru.ca/forums
    Check out the Excelguru Facebook Fan Page -||- Follow Me on Twitter

If you've been given VBA code (a macro) for your solution, but don't know where to put it, CLICK HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Puls View Post
    Hi jcas,

I've attached a copy of the file I use to plot out our budget timeline. It works using conditional formatting as Bob mentioned.

Change the dates in the green cells, and you'll see it updates the bars.

The trick is in getting the formula right. If you can do that in the grid, then you can make it work in the conditional formats. (And we can help you with that if you lay out your workbook -- or a sample -- and attach a copy.)

Hope it helps,
    Hi Ken:

That file is just great! Thats exactly what I will like to have. but to be honest, I have no idea on what I could do or what formulas should I put together to get something like that. I am a student and I'm starting programming with Excel. I have this assignment for my job and will really appreciate if you or somebody else give me a basic idea/examples on how I can make my file to work like yours.

thankss!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Okay, so let's look at your frame right now (across the top). It's pretty non-standard. Are you comfortable setting up in a weekly format, or daily, or? (Right now you seem to have some that are 5 days, some that are more/less)

What I'd do is set up the frame of your report so that you have consistent dates across the top, then columsn to list your tasks start/end dates like I did.

If you can build up the frame you want, and upload it as a workbook (double click the "Reply to Thread" button or click it once then click "Go Advanced" to do this), we can help with the next part.
    Ken Puls, FCPA, FCMA, MS MVP (Excel)

Master your data with Power Query: Purchase your copy of my book M is for Data Monkey today!

Main Site: http://www.excelguru.ca -||- Blog: http://www.excelguru.ca/blog -||- Forums: http://www.excelguru.ca/forums
    Check out the Excelguru Facebook Fan Page -||- Follow Me on Twitter

If you've been given VBA code (a macro) for your solution, but don't know where to put it, CLICK HERE.

I worked on the frame, set up the dates by weeks (Mondays) and I put some of the tasks there to have as a guide. I am attaching what I did. Please help me with the next steps.

Thanks

Try this

THanks BOB! Thats better than what I had. Now I need to know how can I format the months with colors so it can be more readable to the user. I made some minor changes to the file you attached. Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast