Quick Reply Options

How should the site use Quick Reply

• Don't use it, we don't need it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use it, but force the extra click so we don't break threaded/hybrid modes

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Just put it on the page and who cares about threaded mode!

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ken Puls

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.excelguru.ca
Excel Version(s)
Excel Office 365 Insider
Hi guys,

I'm curious for your opinions on this.

The quick reply option allows a user to reply to a post without having to load the full reply page. Turning it off means that Post Reply button will take you direct to the full editor.

When turning the quick reply feature on, we have two options:
  1. Require clicking "Reply To Thread". vBulletin strongly recommends that you set the option to require a click if you use Quick Reply and have Threaded Mode available on the forums (which I do.)
  2. Have the Quick Reply box showing on the page already (no click required.) This has the advantage of not requiring a click, but clicking the "Reply To Thread" doesn't do anything. vBulletin's help tells us "If you choose not to require a click, the system will not know to which post a user is replying, making both the threaded and hybrid display modes nonsensical."
So what's your thoughts? Cast a vote and leave your comments. :)

PS The poll was set up as confidential, so you can vote without commenting if you want to be anonymous.
PPS We are currently using the "require click" so as not to mess up threaded mode. I'm not sure if anyone will want to use it (you can change it in your profile), but I've never been a big fan of turn on flags that I've been advised will break things.

So one thing that drives me nuts is that when I click "Reply to Thread", I get the Quick Reply box. For the most part this is good for me. Yet when I finish typing, I'm inexplicably drawn to clicking the big blue "Reply to Thread" button again and I lose my post! It would be nice if that button changed to "Post Quick Reply", or if the "Post Quick Reply" button was bigger. (In truth, I think the issue is that the Post Quick Reply button is in the bottom right, off screen, while the Reply to Thread button is visible.

Of course, it's entirely possible that I'm a dough-head too. ;)

Hi Ken

Maybe I'm being thick!!
Pressing the big Blue button, or the curved arrow Reply, bot take me to Quick Reply and then there is the option for Go Advanced at the bottom right.

Having been a firm "hater" of forums for years, and stuck in the "keep NTTP newsgroups" camp, I am at last beginning to like forums but only if I can have the Hybrid mode for viewing, and because I can download files from posters, and upload files in response. Uploading files requires the advanced Mode (unless I am missing something) so more often than not I think I would need to go to Advanced.

It's no "biggy" to have to make an extra click but as I was saying to Zack, why isn't Advanced the default?

Well, it appears that I might have tripped on some good news, Roger. :)

Double click the "Reply to Thread" button... Tell me what you think of that? ;)

Back