Jon Peltier emailed me today and suggested that the Favourites add-in would be even a little bit better if you could open multiple files from your favourite folders at the same time. Despite my intention to put it off until I'd finished another project, I somehow couldn't resist looking at it. So Jon's suggestions have been implemented.
The biggest change is that, in version 1.104, when you click on a favourite folder (set up through the management utility) you will be able to select one or more files:
It will open each one for you and, as always, will also deal with Word, Powerpoint, PDF, or any other file you select, opening it in the correct application.
I also tweaked the "About" form so that you can click on the hyperlink to get to my site. (It actually used to be a double click, but that wasn't intuitive.) To help out even a bit more, I added a tooltip to it:
That feature is hardly a deal breaker, obviously, but it will make it easier for people to find me if they need to report an issue.
I'm also curious to hear what other features/enhancements people might want from this tool. Some features that I had been thinking of for the future include the following:
- An Office 2007+ UI (I still haven't fallen in love with a design for the Ribbon implementation yet)
- Foreign language support (so that I don't get any more emails telling me I can't spell favorite correctly.) 😉
- Ability to clear the MS Office Most Recently Used (MRU) list
- A flag to turn on/off favourite files being added to the MRU. (Currently it doesn't, but I find that frustrating sometimes.)
- One user suggested that it would be nice to have favourite ranges within workbooks as well. Implementing that one concerns me a bit. (Do you store it in the database, or in a worksheet within the workbook? What happens when the file is renamed, moved or deleted?)
Any other things that you'd like to see?